Thursday, February 14, 2013

meditation for mojo

meditation for mojo : wholehearter
I've really been wanting to get out into nature lately. Spend some time hiking, running or just sitting outside. I also find my mind wandering down to the basement where a few neglected projects sit, calling me down to putz. I haven't been making it to an actual yoga studio to practice nearly as much as I'd like and poor Zero hasn't been to the dog park in weeks. I also want to garden, play my drums, try some new recipes, go spelunking, paint the spare room and work on fundraising for Relay for Life. For every little diversion I'm perseverating on lately, there's just something else I need to do instead. My busy, mojo-killing routine is getting in the way of my chill-time.

During this particularly hectic week, rather than randomly trying to make time to juggle any of these hobbies, I'm making time for meditation. As my mind jumps from one scheme or interest to the next, I realize that what I really need is quiet, not more things to do, even if I convince myself of their relaxing qualities. Once you've had a taste of meditation, you'll begin to notice when your mind is slipping into a state of chaos, and trust me, it doesn't take much. But if headed-off, you can avoid the manifestation of stress-induced issues like insomnia, illness or a full-blown meltdown. (It's no coincidence that all of these issues rear their ugly heads at the utmost inopportune times. ie: strep and pink-eye during finals week in college)

I always feel better after meditating, even if 90% of the time is spent telling myself to shut-up. Through just 5-15 minutes of meditation each morning, I'm discovering a lot about what I'm so flippantly referring to as "my routine," AKA, my life. More constructive and restorative than all of my little activities combined, silent mindfulness meditation helps me get my priorities straight. Even if I feel antsy or stressed out before my meditation, I find that it actually GIVES me time, clearing my mind of clutter, allowing me to focus and be more efficient.


Regardless of how much you stress, plan or worry, often times, you have NO idea what's really on your mind until you meditate. Try just sitting down in a quiet space, closing your eyes and tuning in. Listen to what your internal dialogue says, but just let it go. Try to focus on your breathing or create your own meditative mantra, keeping a few words or a short phrase at the center of your attention. Once you're quiet, your own subconscious will reveal things to you and help you put everything into perspective, one breath at a time. Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment