Wednesday, June 27, 2012

see progress - make progress

This was our overgrown garden jungle before I got my hands on it... August 2011

This is some progress, after pruning, digging and weeding... April 2012
Okay, so maybe the following photo doesn't look that different to you since April, but trust me, it is. I'm keeping up with "before" and "after" photos of this overwhelming area so that I don't quit. If I don't look back on how it really was originally, it will feel like I haven't got anywhere.
Here is what's been done since April:
- Area under Magnolia trees has been spruced up. Hostas planted and rock border added around the base.
- Gigantic stump up in front of the shed was annihilated by my Dad's chainsaw
- Planted Primrose, baby Liriopes and wildflower seeds.
- Existing Irises, Daylilies, Lambs Ear and a few other things I can't identify from other areas of the yard were separated and transplanted to fill in spaces. (Now you know why I made a rain barrel!)
- Removed random patch of rocks in the yard (front lower left), filled it and planted grass seed.
- Hedge border was pruned (hacked) by our well-intentioned neighbors, prompting our next big undertaking...a new land survey and a fence. :)

Current garden after much transplanting and weeding! June 2012
June 2012

























It's slow-going, but I find that taking pictures along the way of any large project is a nice way to reminisce (about how miserably hard it was), stay motivated and see how far you've come. Give it a try next time you feel overwhelmed with a big job!

No comments:

Post a Comment