Saturday, June 9, 2012

table transformation

My roommate from college just graduated from vet school and is in the process of house-hunting. (Yay!) I needed to think of a good gift, but I wanted it to be something personal, so naturally, I decided to up-cycle a piece of furniture for her! After some hunting around, I found a neglected old Drexel end-table that was full of potential.

$8 Drexel end table found at Goodwill

The top of the table had some beautiful inlaid wood detail, but was in pretty bad shape. I wasn't sure I would be able to salvage it without painting over it, but I had to try because I instantly had a vision for it.

I used my trusty Minwax Red Mahogany stain and pre-treated the worst (lightest) parts with a little paint brush. After that dried a bit, I then used a clean rag (read: old sock) to smooth the rest of the stain on, working with the grain. It was a bit difficult because of how the seams met, but the color came out beautiful, as usual.

I could have stopped here, but I wanted this little table to be special to my friend. Being that she is a total purple-aholic, I knew I could get away with a fun shade. Steeling myself, I went with a more grown-up subtle color from the Martha Stewart line of Glidden paint, called Wampum. It was the only purple I could find that had some gray undertone.
Sanded and stained top and shelf

After 1 coat of paint
I adore this color and how it turned out, but it certainly did not appear like the swatch. It's much more lilac and less gray than I'd planned. I'm still considering using the leftovers to paint our upstairs bathroom. [I'm also secretly considering keeping this lovely table and giving my friend a purple gift card!] ;)


The finished little purple table

I'd like to think I gave this little end table a new lease on life. From a dark corner of Goodwill, surrounded by other unwanted and misfit furniture, she was rescued and renewed. She is now draped in a creamy and calming hue contrasting with her glossy and dramatic mahogany wood tones.



Label inside of drawer - Ink pen sprayed with a coat of clear polyurethane

New floral knob detail
May she forever be graced with coasters, her flower-knobbed drawer be brimming with treasures and her little shelf be piled high with favorite books!

Inlaid wood detail










2 comments:

  1. This is SO stunning!! She is very lucky to have a friend like you!

    ReplyDelete